Put your $$ where your mouth is!

I could not believe it when I read Sue Water’s blog recently about schools that are charging their students to use the internet. Apparently this has become the largest barrier for teachers who want to incorporate technology into their lessons – some students simply can not afford it.
I am both shocked about this revelation and scared. I believe that so many schools are struggling to fit everything into such ‘small’ budgets, and that it is therefore likely that many schools may follow suit. The schools that I feel are most at risk are the ones with high concentrations of teachers and staff who do not value or support technology in education. It is therefore essential that all future teachers realise the advantages that technology (and the internet) can have on education, so that when they are involved in such decisions they will be able to support allocating funds towards technology.
I also believe that all key stakeholders to education should put their money where their mouth is and financially support the provision of wireless broadband internet in schools. This is especially important when all experts seem to agree that technology is the most important basic skill that this new generation of children will be required to master in for the future of this nation.

Image made available under Creative Commons 2.0 Attribution Licence: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ Available here.

One thought on “Put your $$ where your mouth is!

1. When the educator from Victoria told me that her school students had to pay for accessing the Internet I was totally dumbfounded. For two reasons :1) I would never have thought that any school would charge their students to access the Internet; 2) she was very well “that is just how it is — isn’t all schools the same.”

She was amazed that I was so shocked at school students having to pay. Lets hope this situation changes and I also agree — wireless broadband with the ability for students to be able to tap their own devices into the network.